11 November 2005

Hell

This has now moved beyond purgatory and into the realm of hell. I now am beginning to wonder if it is worth it any more. I enjoy being a soldier. I enjoy my job. I do not enjoy this recruiting bit. My boss and 1st sergeant keep telling me that I have to change my attitude, that if I would just change my perspective, this wouldn't be so bad.

Allow for me to relay a small story for you as to why I am unable to change my perspective. I have been on vacation for the last week or so--I NEEDED a break. (I sometimes think I am losing my mind. ) I haven't been able to find anyone to join the Army thismonth, so my boss calls me and teels me that he wants to know if I want to work tomorrow. I tell him "not really" because, quite frankly, I am not looking forward to going to work on monday, so why would I want to work two days sooner? He then begins to browbeat me about why I should be trying to scrape someone up on this last day of the month, I should be doing all I can to find someone to send down to join on monday so I can "get off a (dough)nut." He procedes to tell me, in so many words, what a horrendous POS I am and how I should feel awful--not because I won't be working tomorrow, but because I don't want to work tomorrow. What is this, the thought police? I tell him that the 70+ hours a week we already work should be sufficiently "going the extra mile". He then launches into a tirade about how he works twice as many hours as we do, and he doesn't complain. Someone once told me that you don't use wrong to excuse wrong, I think this fits the case. Truthfully, I feel sorry for the guy, but he really doesn't need to take it out on us.

I hope I can survive this, but somehow I think I need to start fishing for a good civilian job. Kind of ironic, given that the whole purpose of this organization is to find people to join the Army, they seem to have no problem sacrificing one of us in the name of that "mission".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home