08 November 2005

What seems to be the problem?

I am having a difficult month this month. It seems that I won't be putting anyone in the Army this month, or as my superiors (meaning those above me in rank or position) would say, I "haven't pulled/my/load.", that I am"hurting the Army". I guess I am just not cut out for this type of work. I mean, I suppose it's difficult to get hyped about a job that has caused my wife to begin taking antidepressants, maybe that's why I am not "successful". Maybe it's that my child, who used to be proud when daddy went to work ("Daddy, are you a sojer? I wanna be a sojer too."), now cries when daddy puts on his uniform. I mean, if I didn't have the drain of my family, I would have more energy to devote to the sales enterprise...I mean recruiting. Besides, it's better than being in Iraq, right? At least I get to see them every night...for a half hour before they go to sleep. PLEASE! That's what I joined to do. When my family knows I am going to be gone for a fixed amount of time--six months, a year--it's a much less emotionally draining endeavor than having me as an intermittant spectre. If I were in Iraq, at least my family would know that I did not wake up every morning and curse the day. I would at least be doing a job I was comfortable with, a job I am good at, a job I know.

I am sorry, USAREC, I can't pretend to be hyped and motivated about this job. I can't pretend that I like working 70-75 hrs per week. I can't pretend that inordinate and constant pressure helps in a job where 90% of that factors involved are beyond my control. I can't pretend that I don't take it personally when some ignorant kid hangs up on me, or tells me to f-off, or tells me that we "don't need" a military. I can't pretend that it doesn't grate on my nerves when some stupid parent tells me that their snotty kid, who barely cut 950 on the SAT, is too good for the Army. I am not the right man for this job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home