11 October 2005

Back to work...

You know, I had thought about it. I hope my fellow non-commissioned officers reading this don't think that I am a dirtbag. I am the same person now that I was three years ago. I have always been prone to point out things that I thought were wrong, but I have always offered solutions. I've always been the "squeaky wheel", but I've always offered my own "grease". Anyway, this site is not supposed to be an indictment of me, but of recruiting. I just wanted my audience to know who they were dealing with. Those who know me best would say, and my father is the greatest example, that the Army has finally given me "something to really complain about." When I return to the Army, I will be the same person I was when I left...only less inclined to sweat the small stuff. I am and will continue to be a hard charger who gets it done.

For what it's worth, here is my suggestion for the Army to improve recruiting in NY. #1. They need to hire PROFESSIONAL telemarketers to make these appointments. A professional does not need to be taught how to "sell", only what the product they are selling has to offer to their market. That way if someone's not successful, they can be fired. #2. Use field recruiters to conduct appointments and focus on generating walk-ins (as they say, there is no such thing as a "walk-in"). Then field recruiters could use their time between appointments to conduct referral prospecting and area canvassing (you know, setting up standees with Army info to get people to call and walk in; i.e. generate interest) #3. Reduce the amount of "training" foisted upon field recruiters. As was previously mentioned, a lot of emphasis is put upon time management, so why do the powers that be see the need to suck up so much of our time with "training" (although some of this "training" is useful, most of it focuses on successful recruiters gloating about their successes and denigrating those of us who are not) and miscellaneous other trips to "the flagpole" for this, that, and the other. #4. Send fewer field recruiters to NY. This would save the Army copious amounts of money in BAH (housing money), special duty pay, COLA (cost of living diff.), not to mention moving expenses, and TDY to and from Ft. Jackson for recruiter school...plus the actual cost of the school itself.

With a telemarketing "center" located perhaps on Ft. Hamilton made up of civilian contractors, the Army would need 10%-20% fewer recruiters in the NY area. Civilians would not have to be sent to recruiter school, they could be given a few weeks of training right there at Hamilton, then cut loose on the phones to do their thing. No need for DOD to carry medical or dental, or housing, etc. See where I am going? Those soldiers left would only have to conduct appointments and get known in their communities. This would save the Army enormous amounts of money, and would result in far fewer NCOs burnt out from recruiting. It makes no sense when we are war, to pull seasoned veterans from the line. Now, not only do they have to fill the vacancies normally incurred by the Army, they have to fill their own seat as well. Since coming to recruiting, I have met more NCOs who intend to fulfill their term of enlistment, then separate from the service. Without exception, these NCOs I have spoken to have stated that they had planned on reenlisting until they arrived in NY for recruiting. With this in mind, it seems as though the NY recruiting sytem or mentality--whatever you label it--contravenes the Army's recruiting/retention goals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home